The Berlin Cemetery

by R. Cohen | Nov 23, 2015
The Berlin Cemetery The Berlin cemetery has quite a history. England's King George the III deeded the land, on a piece of sheepskin, to Samuel Scull for 5 shillings in 1766. The deed covered 3 acres "beginning at a White Oak standing at the Fork". The present cemetery office was once a log cabin. The present day building bears that date.

The log cabin was used by the Presbyterian Church and was open to all denominations. It later served as a district school. The cabin was replaced by the present day building about 1850 and continued to serve as a school until the late 1870's. Renovations were made in 1971. The siding was made to the exact size of the original clapboard.

The cemetery fell into neglect and in 1884, the Berlin Cemetery Associtation was formed and continues to this day.

The "White Oak" mentioned in the deed served as a hanging tree. A man convicted of a crime was hanged from the tree and dropped into a grave dug below him.

Some interesting people buried here include a Lenape Indian family, 3 Hessian soldiers, Thomas McCann (Civil War soldier), Arthur Eldred (the first Eagle Scout in the United States, and Carlton R. Rough (a World War II Medal of Honor winner). Several of the Berlin's founding fathers are buried here including Richard Moss (the first settler here), Thomas Wright (first owner of a charcoal burning works and the Berlin Hotel), Samuel Scull (tavern owner), and Joseph L. Thackara (prominent merchant and Berlin's first railroad station agent).

Here’s a poem about the cemetery, courtesy of Ella Braddock. It was found in her father's possessions. The author is unknown.

Berlin Cemetery
Prior to 1766 the records read as stand.
A certain man by the name of Rodgers,
Donated a parcel of land.
Now take this and free gratis to all.
As a burial place he said.
So that the ages to come, may have it for
A place to bury their dead.
So they started to bury then side by side,
Brother, Friend, and Foe.
For all are equal in the grave so they buried them row by row.
But the sage grass grew on this sacred spot.
And the briars entangled the moss.
No one seemed to care for this spot once fair, or paid no heed to the grass.
And loved ones searched in this tangled mass.
For the graves of those held dear.
And thus the terrible condition of things, caused many a bitter tears.
But someone touched by the condition of things, which was a real eye sore, said we will Incorporate and this they did in 1884.

© SouthJersey.com 2014. All rights reserved. This article or parts thereof may not be reprinted or reproduced by any other party without the express written consent of SouthJersey.com. For more information, please call 856-797-9910.

For more South Jersey History, visit our South Jersey History page.

Article continues below

advertisement
Dry Guys April 2021_728x90

Related Articles




Author: R. Cohen

Archives


A Southern Mansion

Fire on the Morro Castle

Pine Barrens Fire of 1936

The Legacy of Hezekiah Bradley Smith

The Powhatan Renape Indians

The `Park-In` Movie Theatre

Glassboro: A History

New Jersey Natives: The Lenni-Lenape

World War II Lookout Tower

Burlington County Prison Museum

Parvin State Park

Hollybush, the Whitney Mansion at Rowan

The History of Brigantine Beach

Haines Mill

John Henry `Pop` Lloyd


More Articles